Friday, May 18, 2007

4 am

Part of my journey has ended. This morning, at 4 my Abuelo passed on to his next life. It was peaceful and calm. There was no interference or hysteria. The hospital called me at 3 and told me that they didn't think it would be much longer. I got dressed and went to be by his side. I counted his pulse as it slowed and I counted right up until there was no beat to count. My Abuela sat silently and let tears roll down her face. She smiled and said thank you God, then she opened the windows so that my Abuelo's spirit could leave. In my life I have never been that stricken with such crippling emotions. I didn't know if I would be able to stay standing, I thought I would faint. The white curtains on the windows blew into the room with the breeze, and I was sure I could tell the exact moment when his spirit was no longer lingering in the room.

The after death services will be tomorrow. After that I have no idea what will happen. I want my Abuela to come to the states and live with me, but I'm not sure she will. I don't think I can stay here to live. This country is so different, and not in very many good ways. Whatever happens, it will be what is meant to be.




I took this picture so I remember 15 years from now, what I looked like...the moment my life changed.

1 comment:

The Committee said...

May he rest in peace. I don't think it will take a picture for you to remember the days you have spent in Colombia. Be well my friend.